This session, although it taught me a lot actually made me feel a lot more frustrated about my lack of teaching experience and knowledge. Plus, since I'm a librarian I don't have access to a traditional class; instead I have many different classes and students throughout a week. This makes it hard for me to describe classroom practice or even to know developmental levels or various work strategies of different students. Often, when teachers bring their students to the library it is for a specific project and I don't get a run down on the individual students in the class. Also, many teachers only use the library for a one class period project, which not only doesn't allow for a great deal of critical thinking but it also doesn't give me a chance to get to know students really well.
Another reason that I'm feeling frustrated is because I feel like I'm playing catch-up to other teachers. I have a Master's degree in Library Science, not in Education and I also don't have a teaching credential. Many of the concepts that are being explained are completely new topics to me. This is actually the first time that I felt overwhelmed by the teaching concepts that I think i should know. And if I were a traditional first year teacher, I would have a greater opportunity to know my students very well and to actually have a classroom practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment