Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Session 3: Reflection

I unfortunately didn't spend as much time on this session as I should have done. Spring Break was right smack in the middle of it and I went to Tennessee to visit my family sans computer and Internet! While it was nice for me to be disconnected, I obviously didn't participate in the discussion forums as well as I normally do. Luckily, the other 3 students in the class were also on Spring Break and getting posts in at the last minute as well. I had a great plan to work on my discussion posts and my portfolio entries when I got home on Sunday night-- but instead I was stranded at the airport in Baltimore and didn't get to Manchester, NH until midnight. Needless to say, I didn't get any NETS work done that night!

Overall, I thought this session was really helpful with the information and examples of rubrics for teaching lessons. One of the biggest points that has been reinforced for me is that a rubric is only as strong as the person who created it. In other words, if the teacher doesn't have much experience in writing rubrics, there's a chance that the rubric won't give firm ideas about what makes an exceptional project. I am still a little confused about summative and formative assessments, and I plan on asking one of my mentors at school for some real classroom examples for further understanding.

Here's hoping that next session will be a lot calmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment